Many of us use hand sanitiser, we wonder how many of you know why!
We can tell you:
‘80% of common infections can be spread through hands’.
While proper handwashing technique is a vital part of keeping yourself healthy, good old soap and water aren’t always around when you need them (say, when you get an unexpected hug from a runny-nosed pre-schooler on the playground).
That’s where alcohol-based sanitisers come to the rescue. We recommend hand sanitisers that contain between 60 and 80 percent alcohol, this is because they work the best (in other words- exterminate the most germs, they won’t be back). When you’re out and about, and not near a sink, hand sanitisers are the perfect go-to!
If your hands aren’t actually covered with visible dirt, the best way to clean them is to use hand sanitiser, says James Scott, a microbiologist at the University of Toronto. “A sanitiser cleans your hands much better than soap and water, so it reduces the bacterial burden to a much greater extent,” he says. “And your hands tend to stay cleaner longer than if you were to compare with regular hand washing.”
We recommend you scrub your hands thoroughly using soap and water (if a sink is available!), a little guide is to sing happy birthday twice while you wash (it’s entirely up to you whether you do this in your head or out loud). After germ and visible dirt busting it’s time to prolong the bacteria-free status of your hands. Squirt a generous dollop of hand sanitiser into the palm of your hand and rub together. It should take around 15 seconds for them to dry, if it doesn’t take that long, you may not have used enough sanitiser. You would have heard of the expression ‘less is more’ right? But there is an exception to every rule and hand sanitiser is that exception.
OK, we know sanitiser is awesome on your hands, but did you know about these little hacks:
• Do you use makeup brushes? Imagine the dirt they collect from your skin! You’ve guessed, hand sanitiser can be used to clean through your brushes, limiting the spread of bacteria! Brilliant.
• Ever spilt something on your white shirt JUST before a meeting, hand sanitiser can help! Apply a blob onto the stain and let soak in, then scrub and repeat until the stain has vanished, genius! Of course we don’t want to be responsible for ruining your Gucci goods, so test on a small unnoticeable patch first.
• 95% of mobile phones have bacteria on! Some say our phones have more diverse types of bacteria than a loo seat- seriously guys! We touch money, door handles, other people, keyboards, food…and then… we reach for our phones. It’s no wonder they’re breeding ground for nasty germs and grease. A small squirt of sanitiser onto a tissue, perfect for de- griming our phones.
• If you wear glasses, like me, you’ll know the real issue of smeary and greasy specs! Everyone I know who has glasses gets fed up of peering through grimy lenses. Apply sanitiser to the lenses and rub with a soft cloth. Be sure to clean the frames too, even if you really do believe your nose is squeaky clean.
• Public toilets- everybody’s out-and-about nightmare. Whether you’re a nest builder, like to hover or just steer clear. Here’s your number one sanity saver when it comes to avoiding getting bacteria on your bum! Sanitiser can be applied to the loo seat with some tissue, once it’s dried you can be safely seated to do your deed. Simple!
• Got a pesky pimple rearing its nasty head? Stop that sucker in its tracks with…you guessed again…hand sanitiser. A little (as in teeney weeney) dab on the crime scene will help dry the pimple out and bash-up the bacteria. What more could you want. While a few Wooshologists have tried this- with no adverse effects, we do recommend you consult your GP first. Just in case.
• You’ve got a lovely glass bowl and you start to peel off the label…oh that step isn’t so simple. Peel is the wrong word - more like pick, scrub and scratch. Even if you’re triumphant in removing the label, you’re often left with an icky patch that is quite comfortable where it is, thank you very much. Bingo! This is where we get a bit of sanitiser which kicks ass and allows you to wipe away the sticky residue! Stress free label removing. Check. Oh and you get to keep your nails in tack too.
So now you're wondering how to get hold of this stuff, or you should be anyway! Give a Wooshologist a call on 0800 206 2110 and check out some of the options below...
Written by Ashlyn-Jane